ABC Corporation plans to invest in project C which have an initial investment of $500,000. ABC’s cost of capital is 8%. The operating cash inflows to be generated from the project will be as follows:
End of 1st year: $100,000
End of 2nd year: $300,000
End of 3rd year: $250,000
1. What is the profitability index for project C?
2. What is NPV for project C?
3. Taking NPV found in previous step into account, is project acceptable according to NPV technique?
4. Based on Profitability Index (PI), is project C is acceptable?
1. First we need to find present values of mixed stream of operating cash inflows. We will use financial calculator to do so.
End of 1st year:
Calculate PV: 90,909.09
End of 2nd year:
Calculate PV: 247,933.88
End of 3rd year:
Calculate PV: 187,828.7
Next we need to add up all present values from operating cash inflows to obtain total PV of operating cash inflows:
= 90,909.09 + 247,933.88 + 187,828.7
Total PV of operating cash inflows = 526,671.67
Next we will follow equation for Profitability Index (PI):
PI = Total present value of cash inflows/Initial investment
Therefore, the profitability index (PI) for project C is 1.05.
2. To find NPV, we follow the formula for NPV:
NPV=Present value of cash inflows – Initial investment
Therefore, NPV for project C = $526,671.67 – $500,000
NPV for project C = $26,671.67
3. Since NPV is more than zero ($26,671.67), project C is acceptable according to NPV technique.
4. Since Profitability Index (PI) is greater than 1 (1.05), the project may be considered to be acceptable.
Blogbschool.com is powered by www.firmsconsulting.com. Firmsconsulting is a training company that finds and nurtures tomorrow’s leaders in business, government and academia via bespoke online training to develop one’s executive presence, critical thinking abilities, high performance skill-set, and strategy, operations and implementation capabilities. Learn more at www.firmsconsulting.com.
Sign up to receive a 3-part FREE strategy video training series here.